The MBA Finance Club provides a bridge between the Sauder School of Business and finance professionals in the community. The club strives to add value to the MBA experience through connecting with the local financial professionals in Vancouver. In January 2011, Sauder joined the elite list of worldwide business schools as a CFA Program Partner.
Following are some of the key initiatives that the finance club plans to undertake:
- Leverage faculty expertise to gain the fundamentals of finance and market ready knowledge.
- Bridge the gap between Vancouver finance industry and Sauder School of Business by arranging guest speaker events that give an insight into the nuances of the financial world.
- Promote and assist students towards professional certifications such as CFA, CPA, etc.
- Help non-finance students select finance courses and assist them in their level of understanding.
- Help students become aware of the general market trends as well as important events that are happening in the financial district
- Organize networking events to hosts finance professionals to build connections with current students
Co-President: Sina Ardeshir Larijani
Sina is a Chartered Professional Accountant and worked in the real estate development industry in Vancouver for over seven years. Moved to Canada from Iran when he was thirteen and came to Vancouver to do his undergrad. He completed his BBA with Finance and Accounting concentrations at Simon Fraser University. Sina enjoys spending time with friends and classmates. He also likes hiking, running and snowboarding.
Co-President: Nikki WeiYi Shen
Born and raised in Beijing, China, WeiYi Nikki Shen is a MBA student at the Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia. She holds a Bachelor of Commerce (with Honours) in Finance from the Sauder School of Business.
WeiYi has held multiple positions at RBC Dominion Securities Inc., Royal Bank of Canada, and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. She was awarded the Regional Top Performer Award as well as the Award of Excellence during her tenure at two of the “Big Five” banks prior to her MBA pursuit.
WeiYi has been serving as an advisory council for the Vancouver Recital Society since early 2014, and she sits on the advisory board at the Vancouver International School of Music. She also serves as a Mentor at YWCA Metro Vancouver and has been a passionate alumni volunteer of the Sauder Alumni Engagement Committee.